Re: [dvd-discuss] Specific ironies of the CTEA

"28 or 56-That's the fix"

I think before the terms are set there needs to be a "theory of copyright" set forth-"The Declaration of Copyright" but since the purpose is to promote progress, the terms must be such that they do promote progress. As .002 has pointed out before, there has to be something useable at the end of the term or else it's been a bad bargain (and the arguments that the government gets taxes from it is specious. Copyright is not the commerce clause). Particularly if copyright is going to extend beyond literary works to computer programs. A uniform term does not fit all things. IN terms of the length of usefulness at the items that have value for the longest terms are (each line being of lesser duration)

Painting, Sculpture, architecture, literary works, sheet music
Photographs, Motion pictures
Sound Recordings,choreography
Computer programs (source code)
Chip masks
Computer programs (executable)
commercial advertisements

I can't see extending copyright to a commercial advertisement for almost a century. COnsider Orange Crate Labels. Growers in California went to great trouble to create crate labels that were unique and would distinguish their products when the oranges were shipped out of state. The artwork that was commissioned is quite good (and originals are collectors items) and was still being done until the early 50s (some of the renderings are still used on cardboard crates). Should the crate labels of 1924 still have copyright protection?

Joshua Stratton <cpt@gryphon.auspice.net>

12/10/2002 01:07 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss