Re: [dvd-discuss] Matt Pavlovich WINS in Cal. Supreme Court

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 02:33:37PM -0800, Michael A Rolenz wrote:
> It's a win but not a WIN as you point out...

It actually is a major win. It sets precendence for the other 495
people they sued outside of CA.

> The defendants who posted or provided Web site links to this information
> knew or
> should have known DeCSS was derived from the misappropriation of
> proprietary
> information, because DeCSS was specifically designed to defeat CSS and was
> aimed at infringing movie copyrights by permitting the "pirating" of
> movies on
> DVD's.
>
> <snip>

Does it continue after the snip? AFAIK knowing that it's a trade secret
doesn't mean anything unless you were the one who misappropriated it.
I'd call this the "horse-out-of-the-barn" doctrine, but it probably has
both a latin and legalese name.

--
http://web.lemuria.org/pubkey.html
pub  1024D/2D7A04F5 2002-05-16 Tom Vogt <tom@lemuria.org>