Re: [dvd-discuss] A TPM without use limitations -- thoughts?

I remain wary of this. The systems used for tracking themselves seem to
pose concerns of privacy to consumers and retailers, and could likely
impose burdens -- even if merely the cost of having to hire a clerk smart
enough to operate the new equipment, or the additional time it would take
to perform the identification at POS -- on retailers.

It certainly doesn't seem to solve problems such as finding a user who
made a copy. E.g. if he paid with cash, if he bought it used, if he found
it abandonded in the street, etc.

Nor does it provide a perfect trail backwards: if A distributed to B and
C, and B to D and E, how can you tell that B has infringed three times and
C only one time, as there is no difference between the particular copy?

And fundmentally, who cares about catching the original guy who infringed
from the CD? Why is he so much worse than the people who have been trading
around the already-ripped file?

What good is this stuff if not to convey side-channel information such as
'Copy me and the RIAA will make your life hell,' which I agree is also not
desirable.