Re: [dvd-discuss] Distribution (Was: Eldred Being Argued Today)

On 9 Oct 2002 at 21:35, D. C. Sessions wrote:

Subject:        	[dvd-discuss] Distribution (Was: Eldred Being Argued Today)
From:           	"D. C. Sessions" <dvd@lumbercartel.com>
To:             	DVD-Discuss <dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu>
Date sent:      	09 Oct 2002 21:35:39 -0700

> On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 08:58, John Zulauf wrote:
> > Michael A Rolenz wrote:
> > > as for the SGA...this is
> > > incredible! How often do these songs get played today? How many people
> > > know the tunes? I can say that I do only because the last two are one's that
> > > my parents still hum or sing because they learned them in their youth. But
> > > what an incredible Whine "OHHHHH alll this stuff will enter the public
> > > domain if you don't keep extending copyright and we can't have that even
> > > though some of you don't even know the tunes..."
> >
> > Actually the counter argument to this is that the reason WHY nobody
> > knows these tunes (when we all should) IS long copyrights.  One of the
> > benefits of the public domain is that it act to make all people living
> > archivists.  Long copyrights mean that only corporations have the means
> > and opportunity to archive -- and aside from the occasional over-priced
> > "Time-Life" 19.95 per each disc/book/VHS/DVD series these self-same
> > corporations have little to no motivation.
>
> One of the arguments that the Cartel advanced today (IIRC and
> IIUC) was that without exclusive distribution rights, nobody
> would distribute the old material at all.  Thus, the crucial
> importance of retroactive extension: it ensures distribution
> of material which would otherwise be unavailable.

From libraries...collectors...

> In other words, if AOL Time Warner couldn't prevent others
> from distributing Casablanca, a great cultural treasure
> would be lost forever.

Ah...yes..the source of all things...complete masters...when they deign to give
you restored editions issued when they choose to give them...with the analog
hole closed (or is that a**hole?)...you won't be able to take a master copy
digitize it and put out your own....That whole argument is so stupid....they
might as well begin burning films again as they did in the Nickelodeon era...