RE: [dvd-discuss] O'Connor quoted at USA Today from Eldred oral argument

On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 14:55, Richard Hartman wrote:

> Make _what_ call??  There is no call to
> be made!  The Constitution expressly
> forbids retroactive legislation in
> Section 9, paragraph 3: "No bill of
> attainder or ex post facto Law
> shall be passed."

That just prevents Congress from passing a law making something
illegal after the fact, e.g. declaring the speed limit to be
35 mph after you've already gone by at 45, then socking you
for speeding.

It doesn't apply to making future actions (e.g. publication
of _The_Jungle_Book_ less than 70 years after Kipling's death)
illegal.

--
| The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. |
| Because the slow, feeble old codgers like me cheat.                |