RE: [dvd-discuss] Geeks in government: A good idea?

All this over "The Waterboy" ??

Well ... matters of good taste aside, let's take a look
at the "parallel import" issue.  I may be going on a stretch
here, but consider the case of electronics superstores.  You
know, the ones that say they'll beat the price on the same
model in a competitor's ad?  Well ... sometimes those stores
have model #s unique to that chain, so that the same item
in another chain actually will have a slightly different
model # so you'll never see the "same item" advertised by
another chain.

Well ... I can see where, if someone has the _exclusive_ rights
to import the region 2 edition of some movie, then noone else
can sell the same thing.  However, the region 1 edition would
_not_ be the "same thing".

On the _other_ hand ... I can't see how anyone would be able
to legally obtain the rights to distribute the region 1
edition in a non-region-1 location, since that was the point
of the whole region system in the first place.

So ... the company importing region-1 versions of "The Waterboy"
might be liable for importing w/o the appropriate right to do
so ... but not for "parallel import" (due to a technicality,
to be sure, but nonetheless...).  But aside from that, _both_
companies importing "The Waterboy" should be held liable for
the damage they are likely to be doing to young, impressionable
minds ...

186,000 mi/sec: not just a good idea, it's the LAW!