RE: [dvd-discuss] Copyright ranges

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 09:39, Richard Hartman wrote:

> Now we're talking games like the original Space Invaders, Gorf, Donkey
> Kong, etc.  When was the last time you saw one of these in a modern
> arcade?  These properties _are_ abandoned IP.  It would be interesting
> if one of these groups sued the owner of the copyright for one of these
> properties for the right to distribute it.  A "s**t or get off the
> pot" suit, as it were.  (I wonder if the EFF would be interested in
> that sort of thing ...)

Not going to happen without legislation.  Currently, there is
quite a bit of case law supporting copyright holders who use
copyright exclusively to block publication (Scientology, some
other religious groups, and record companies who keep artists
from performing until they finish their eight-record contract.)

I hope that you wouldn't be too surprised to see that there is
a huge amount of money in favor of keeping it that way.

--
| May I have the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, |
|  the strength to change the things I cannot accept, and the   |