Re: [dvd-discuss] Movie Downloads, automatically illegal?

OK. it may be Friday but I'm having a bit of trouble with the following
snippet:
> Let's say, for example, I want to download a VCD of the stand.  Out of the
> goodness of your heart, you want to help me.  We can "legally" get this
> done through the following convoluted but equivilent process:
>
> 1.  We trade DVDs.
> 2.  You make a backup copy of your DVD in VCD format.
> 3.  We trade back.  Backup copies flow with the original.
>
> Done.

I have read the rest and I dont get it.  How is this 'more' legal than
simply making a copy yourself?
How is it different from the second sceanario?

Methinks...if making a backup in VCD format for your own use is legal,
then how you get it is irrelevant. you could make a backup on someone
else's computer as long as you get rid of it on the other machine.

what am I missing here?

--
Dan Steinberg

SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology