Re: [dvd-discuss] Article in TIME: Enemy At The Gates?

On 5 Jul 2002 at 3:58, Jon Lech Johansen wrote:

Date sent:      	Fri, 5 Jul 2002 03:58:09 +0200
From:           	Jon Lech Johansen <jon@nanocrew.net>
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject:        	[dvd-discuss] Article in TIME: Enemy At The Gates?

> However, there is one thing most of us can agree with Valenti on:
> CSS is not really effective.
>
> "We believe that the only really effective way to combat piracy of
> any kind is by tough criminal enforcement."

Hey you gotta love JackBoots Valenti and his "internet Jackboots"..where I
disagree is the difference between commercial and private activities. He wants
to group the together. The difference is economic. A pirate copy sold
commercially is fraud to the consumer and defrauds the producer of a legitimate
sale at retail or wholesale prices. But as for online "piracy", THere is no
fraud to the consumer but if the studios etc would just recognize that they
have a great way to cut their production and distribution costs and just pass
the savings on the the consumer, Napster would have been stillborne. I've heard
it said that General Relativity was not accepted by the physics community until
most of the opponents had died...probably will be the same way with the
Internet and multimedia