Re: [dvd-discuss] Eldred Amicus

On Sat, 2002-06-01 at 16:29, Tom wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 06:52:27PM -0400, Scott A Crosby wrote:
> > Yes, some works and authors only make it big after 30-40 years. So what?
> >
> > If a work is popular that far in the future, its essentially a windfall
> > that the author could not have planned for nor expected when he/she/they
> > origionally created the work.
>
> moreover, who says that the public domain status means the author
> doesn't get his share? he may go on tour (yes, even book authors
> sometimes go around on reading sessions) or get interviews, op-ed
> pieces, all kinds of offers. not to mention that his OTHER works will
> likely see more sales, too.
>
> equating public domain with starving authors is just another of Jack's
> propaganda tricks. please don't fall for it.

I'm sure I'm missing something.  Could someone
please point me to even *one* instance in the last
two centuries -- why not, since the First Congress -- of
an author whose work was a complete flop during the first
28 years and only then became seriously successful?

I mean *total* flop, not just make-a-bare-living published.
It seems to me that this scenario is like building your
welfare system around having needy families win the lottery.

--
| May I have the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, |
|  the strength to change the things I cannot accept, and the   |