RE: [dvd-discuss] Eldred Amicus

On Thu, 2002-05-30 at 18:23, Arnold G. Reinhold wrote:
> If the original work has passed into the public domain, you can
> always copy that. If the additions for the new work (with new
> copyright) are small, you should be happy to simply use the older
> edition. The only problem I see is if the new version is of higher
> quality, say a DVD vs. VHS.  Then the question arises as to what
> happens if you copy the from the new version only the material that
> was in the old version. Is that fair use or even simply non
> infringing? Is there any case law?

The problem is bit rot.  Planned obsolescence of media.
By the time the original Star Wars enters the public
domain (even if we turn the clock back to 50 years)
there won't be any surviving videotapes of the original,
there won't be any surviving players for them, and there
won't be any TV sets capable of displaying NTSC format.

All of the new copies will of course have additions and
new copyright dates.

--
| May I have the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, |
|  the strength to change the things I cannot accept, and the   |