Re: [dvd-discuss] Eldred Amicus

There was an earlier discussion on abandoned intellectual property. THe
problem with that concept is that it really is a bandaid solution to the
problem of long copyright terms. If the terms for things are set at limits
that reflect the utility or expected lifetimes and a little beyond, then
things enter the PD at time that they are of benefit. Nothing is abandoned
since it WILL be made available again if it has merit at the end of
copyright.

From an administrative viewpoint, the notion of abandoned intellectual
property is fraught with the problems of determining copyright expiration
NOW (thank you reform act of 1976 and Berne Convention). It becomes a
major search to see if there is a copyright and if it has been exercised
in some time. Just because something is rare or hard to find does not mean
that the copyright has not been exercised. Somebody may be selling the
work out of their home through mail order with ads in the University of
Southern North Dakota at Hoople college paper.

Kurt Hockenbury <khockenb@stevens-tech.edu>
05/30/2002 08:55 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss