RE: [dvd-discuss] Eldred Amicus

On Wed, 2002-05-29 at 10:31, Joshua Stratton wrote:
> The natural counter argument, however, is that authors who are in the
> process of writing a manuscript, or who are shopping it around to
> different publishers, may have their work published without their
> permission if it isn't copyrighted from the instant the pen touches the
> paper.

I really don't have a problem with copyright on unpublished
works -- I just think that 120 years is a long time for
Teddy Roosevelt's laundry list to be off-limits.  In the
interest of newspapers and hopeful authors, about a year
should be more than adequate.  For the exceptional novel
that takes five years to get published as an instant best
seller, there's always the inexpensive self-registration
process.

--
| May I have the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, |
|  the strength to change the things I cannot accept, and the   |