RE: [dvd-discuss] Eldred Amicus

On Wed, 2002-05-29 at 09:27, Dean Sanchez wrote:

> I have major issues regarding allowing copyright to be granted on any unpublished work. A manuscript moldering in the drawer does not benefit the public. If an author wants copyright protection, he must be willing to publish (i.e. make it available to the public).  Until fairly recently, this was part of the social compact.  Having to register is and was the ideal situation.  In this case, if the author is dead, there probably is a need to create an incentive for the estate to publish.  However, the incentive should be significantly less than one would give to a living author to create an incentive to continue producing new works.

Simple enough -- the old one term plus one renewal.  The renewal
can't be transferred until it comes up.  The first expires with
the author and the estate has the option of exercising the
renewal.

Securing the renewal right to the author actually *does* provide
for them and their heirs, as distinct from "forever minus a day"
which in practical terms doesn't net them a farthing because
they long since sold their interest.

--
| May I have the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, |
|  the strength to change the things I cannot accept, and the   |