Re: [dvd-discuss] Eldred Amicus

Yes, and I think the Eldred petitioners would do well to be
very specific about this.  In my opinion, the second
question they are presenting (besides the term extension
question), on the statement of the Appeals Court
categorically excluding First Amendment considerations, is a
aleeping bear.  If the Justices remand on that question,
copyright lawyers and legislators will no longer be able to
set aside consideration of the First Amendment so easily
when enacting and interpreting exclusive rights
legislation.  We are in a position now (in terms of
information and communications technology) wherein we can no
longer simply correlate the idea/expression dichotomy with
free speech and public discourse on one hand, and exclusive
rights on the other.

By specifically posing the question of the public interest,
framing their substantive points about how to construct the
meaning and purpose of the exclusive rights clause (for
limited times due to our founding fathers' abhorrence of
monopoly) within that rubric, the result might very well be
that we would end up with a Supreme Court pronouncement
specifically addressing the question of the public interest
per se, rather than the weighing of "stakeholder" interests
(other than the public's) that seems to characterize so much
of the deliberations in exclusive rights law and policy
these days.

Seth Johnson

--

[CC] Counter-copyright: