Re: [dvd-discuss] Comparing DeCSS with legitimate code.

On Thu, 2002-05-23 at 20:11, Jeremy Erwin wrote:

> Since plaintext transfer of VOBs to hard disk was not envisoned as a
> legitimate operation by the inventors of CSS, DeCSS arguably circumvents.

I rather suspect that the projection of images onto the walls
of dance floors was not envisioned by the inventors of movie
projectors, either.  So?

There's a fundamental shift in the concept of copyright here
(like this is news on DVD-discuss?) -- under longstanding
American law, the artist (much less his publisher) cannot
forbid purchasers from displaying his works in washrooms.
We have not been under a "all uses of the Licensed Material
not explicitly permitted by this Agreement are expressly
forbidden" regime.

The paragraph above implicitly assumes otherwise.

--
| May I have the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, |
|  the strength to change the things I cannot accept, and the   |