Re: [dvd-discuss] Microsoft Lies About Donating Computers

On Tuesday, April 30, 2002, at 01:19  am, Seth Johnson quoted:

Although it does seem as though Microsoft is trying to pull a fast one I
don't see it in quite the way portrayed above. For example as I read the
Q & A given later in the message I would imagine there would be no legal
objection to a computer that has had Linux installed (I suspect they
would claim a Linux box would not "play nice" with the school's existing
network of computers, but that is another argument). What I see them as
claiming is that the previous owner would not have the option of
alienating the license from the donated computer. So even if the
computer has had its drive formatted, Microsoft would not accept the
validity of the donor claiming he has a Microsoft license for a
license-free computer he later acquires.

I don't see how this claim can be upheld ultimately, but it seems less
ridiculous than the apparent claim that a machine is rendered an outlaw
when another OS is installed.