Re: [dvd-discuss] 2001 Best year ever for movies

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, mickey wrote:

> How many films did the major film studios make in 2001? By the "two out
> of ten" guide,  around 100?

Both sets of numbers are completely believable. Most films flop.  Only a
few films actually make money, but those that do, make it BIG. Same thing
with large-scale commercial music. Most bands lose money, but those ones
are funded by the ones that make money.

So, if we have 10 movies. All cost $10M to make. 2 make $50M, the rest
make $3M, then it is perfectly true that we can have a great year,
making a profit of 24%, yet, have 80% of our movies make barely a third of
their money back. :)

So, Valenti is complaining about the risks of the movie business. But in a
self-serving fashion in front of congress, cause its ALWAYS been that way.

Scott