RE: [dvd-discuss] Slightly OT - Japanese copyrights

Yes and no.  The gun companies are responsible for performing
background checks and not selling to felons.  The data company
asked a question about criminal history, but did not make any
attempt to perform a background check to verify the answers.
Moreover, even when it was brought to their attention that
the client had a criminal history, they intentionally ignored
that.

If you sell a gun to someone that _you_know_ has a criminal
history, you are committing a crime.

If you sell personal data on a woman to someone that _you_know_
has a rape conviction ... are you intentionally aiding a felon?

The thing that got me most about that script is, here is this
company whose stock in trade is selling any and all personal
information they can get their hands on ... and then they try
to hide behind client confidentialty ...  just seemed a bit
hypocritical to me.

186,000 mi./sec ... not just a good idea, it's the LAW!