Re: [dvd-discuss] Eldred v. Ashcroft Accepted forReviewbySCOTUS

I believe that the USSC has ruled that treaties may not violate the
Constitution. WRT to the BERNE convention I suspect few in the last 30 yrs
have considered that. I suspect that those who revised US law in 1909 did
since they chose to NOT implement the Berne Convention.

Your comments on "contemporary" are interesting. The whole notion of the
lifetime of the media is something that has not been considered either. If
the media is not contemporary enough, the works can't enter the public
domain..or be useful. Yep....all them old pianny rolls are in the public
domain but just try and find a pianny player to play them on (although one
could probably OMR (optical music recognition) them and play them on a
synthesizer with a bit of work....now here's a wierd thought...a piano
player roll is a set of functional instructions to reproduce the playing
of someone on a player piano...it's FUNCTIONAL!)

That's another good point "It will be amazing if these works are ever
preserved or
reintegrated into our cultural memory because of the long terms --
tragic and the exact opposite of "promote progress"." This is a part of
the history of cultures that is being denied by long terms. Copyright term
as the creator of a fragmented and disjoint culture because people have no
easy access to the past. WONDERFUL progress.

I don't think that people putting poetry in a computer mask is much of an
issue (take a look at some of the files that microsoft products create.
You can't tell me that somebody didn't spend a lot of time creating a
perfect disk of FF inside a square of 00s in my hex editor). The question
was meant that if even a 14yr term is too large for some things such as
computer masks. If so, then copyright is NOT the proper means of
protection.

Actually, that's the whole problem with our current protections for
"intellectual property" what's being protected must be worth the effort to
protect it. Is protecting Starbuck's coffee cup sleeve worth the
benefit.(NADA). Is protecting the original Pentium with its division
problem worth the protection? Is ANYTHING worth protecting for 120 yrs?
But if things ARE going to be protected for 14,28 or 42 yrs they had
better be worth it.

BTW the requirement for copyright renewal by a positive act (reapplying
and paying the fee) was a stroke of genius. If the creator doesn't think
the thing is worth it, why should the rest of us support it for a renewal
term.

"John Zulauf" <johnzu@ia.nsc.com>
02/20/02 08:53 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss