Re: [dvd-discuss] Eldred v. Ashcroft Accepted for Review bySCOTUS

> I think the logic is this.
>
> (a) No creative community can thrive without a strong public domain

Unfortunately, this is exactly what has gotten lost in every change to the
copyright laws starting in 1976. WIth good reason the USA Did NOTsign the
Berne convention when they had a chance to do so in 1909 (and why was it
signed in 1976....a couple of generations of legal scholars died away and
were replaced with those predesposed and preprogrammed to not ask
questions). NObody spoke up for the public domain until the point that the
CTEA has increased it to the level that the anyone outside the legal or
political professions (present readers excepted) considers it ridiculous. This
is something that I fear has been forgotten

Add to this that the Berne convention creates a copyright system that can
NEVER be administered to in an efficient objective fashion. Copyright
expiration cannot SIMPLY be determined (date of publication versus date of
authors death.). No notice of copyright must be given (OK...how can one tell
what's in and not in the public domain.) The Berne convention is antipodal
to having a public domain and so contradicts the requirement for limited
times (one can't have a limted time if one cannot objectively or simply
determine just what that is)

> (b) a strong public domain requires inclusion of meaningful contemporary
> content

Contemporary? somewhere betwen 28 and 50 yrs old but not not more. I
would argue that the terms for copyright protection should be
commenserate with their lifetimes but certainly no more than what is needed
to administer to ALL copyrights granted. Literaly works are deserving of long
periods because their worth may not be appreciated early one and they are
less functional than other copyright items. Computer masks, software. I
don't even think 14 yrs is short enough! The question is not how long but
how short!

> (c) the long terms have locked up all contemporary content
> (d) the internet is a creative community
> (e) long terms are adversely affecting the development of the internet

(f) - Copyright is a social contract codified as a set of laws. When the laws
are such that they violate the spirit and even the letter of that contract. The
contract has been breached by continued additions without consideration,
violations of the constitution for limited terms and rights to authors, the
extension of rights to publishers without consideration to authors and
creators. MOst fundamentally, it has been breached that works have not
been entering the public domain in a timely fashion whereby they could be
used to promote progress.