Re: [dvd-discuss] FW: SJ MercuryNews, Ruling a blow for DVD indus try (11-02-2001) (Emailing: dvdsuit02.htm)

On Monday 05 November 2001 11:13, you wrote:
> The thing that this murky news article neglects to mention is that trade
> secret protection is only from those who have the obligation to keep
> the secret but do not.  And perhaps those who can be shown to have
> directly stolen the secret from the owners (i.e. you break in to the vault
> in Atlanta to aquire the Coca Cola recipie, but you leave your fingerprints
> behind).
>
> Independant discovery of a process that somebody else considers to
> be "their secret" is _not_ legally prohibited.

Yet.

Keep your eye out for "trade secret" legislation at the Federal level
that will effectively rule out the independent-discovery defense and
provide patent-like "intellectual property" with neither the expiration nor
originality requirements of patents.

--
| I'm old enough that I don't have to pretend to be grown up.|
+----------- D. C. Sessions <dcs@lumbercartel.com> ----------+