RE: [dvd-discuss] Support for Eldred Vs Ashcroft in Brunner.

The purpose of copyright an patent laws is to encourage disclosure
of ideas to further science and the useful arts. Trade secret
status offers no protection to companies who choose to go that
route other than protection against theft. Copyright has little
to do with trade secrets. Trade secrets are closer to things which
might be patentable.

And the term for trade secrets is not unlimited, it is until
somebody figures it out independantly. When somebody keeps something
as a trade secret they are betting that it won't be discovered
before a patent on the technology would. Sometimes they're wrong,
but the choice is always theirs to make.

-Charles Ballowe