RE: [dvd-discuss] Interesting 1st sale-shrinkwrap-EULA-(c) infringementcase

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Noah silva wrote:
> Well.. define sham.  Non-profit corperations don't turn a profit, but
> their members get paid.  You could open a corperation that pays out
> all it's revenues to its employees... am I mising something?

There are different categories of non-profit organization.  I have no idea
what the limitations are for who can and cannot rent computer programs and
phonorecords.

> (also, this doesn't apply to videos?  Those are "licensed" to
> blockbuster?)

Yeah, this still bugs me.  I can't rent a copy of, say, Elvis Costello and
the Brodsky Quartet doing The Juliet Letters on CD, but I can rent the
video.

I can't rent a CD of the soundtrack to Jonathan Demme's Robyn Hitchcock
concert film, Storefront Hitchcock, but I can rent the DVD.

Just nonsense.  Why does "phonorecord-with-pictures" get a different
treatment?

> Again, you could sell and accept returns minus a "restocking" fee
> instead.

Right, that's my idea (well, the shop-down-the-way-that-sells-porn's idea,
anyway).

I think that'd be fine.

J.
--