Re: [dvd-discuss] Bunner wins DeCSS trade secret appeal

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Michael A Rolenz wrote:
>  <as I attempt to restrain my snickering>...Now lets consider this
> hypothetical....
>
> As Jeme has pointed out <repeatedly!>, if the sting of "1"s and "O"s
> are NOT expressing ideas, then they also CANNOT be copyrighted either,
> seemingly this court agrees.  Now...lets add a little more to this
> line of argumentation. Take waht TWI just put forth down under- DVD
> are "software". Obviously it's not source code but little "1"s and
> "Os"....So TWI has just presented a legal argument that EVERYTHING
> they release on DVD is not copyrighted. A good question is how the
> courts try to deal with that problem.

I should have finished this mailbox before replying. :)

You said it exactly right.

Where do they get off claiming copyright over something that is obviously
not the expression of an idea?

(It CONTAINS ideas, but since it does not convey them, it is not an
expression.)

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin