[dvd-discuss] Big Brother - Court orders AOL to remove software from HOMEcomputers

Check out this one

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/31/technology/31AOL.html?ex=1005195600&en=e1482611acd4f23e&ei=5006&partner=ALTAVISTA

October 31, 2001 : AOL Is Ordered to Stop Using PlayMedia Software

<stuff deleted>

The ruling, a preliminary injunction issued on Monday, was a result of
a suit brought by PlayMedia Systems, a Los Angeles company that had
licensed its software to Nullsoft, a company that distributed WinAmp,
a popular program that pays MP3 music files. AOL, in turn, bought
Nullsoft, and incorporated a version of the PlayMedia software into its
AOL 6.0 software, which it introduced last fall.

PlayMedia argued that AOL 6.0 violated its license, which did not
allow its software to be used in "a product that is not distributed with
WinAmp or derivatives thereof."

<snip>

The judge also ruled that AOL must remove the
PlayMedia software from any current user of the
AOL 6.0 software by using the company's
technology that can automatically update software
at the end of each online session.

Now here's a question...If I refuse, am I in contempt of court?
If I refuse to destroy my disks?
Has the judge even considered what the effect upon the AOL users are? I
really hate it when I forget to disable the Norton Antivirus update and
the program decides it's TIME and the next thing I know my 56k line at
home is slower than molasses>
Does the judge realize that if the higher courts overrule him that's
another issue?