Re: [dvd-discuss] Gedankenexperiment

On Oct 26, "D. C. Sessions" wrote:

> Please shoot this down on either technical or legal grounds:
>
> The MP3.com "my MP3.com" model, where MP3.com kept pre-ripped
> copies of music for customers who already had the CDs, *probably*
> could have been made resistant to legal objections if the copies were
> encrypted.  "Encrypted how?" you ask.  Suppose that they were
> symmetrically block-cipher encrypted using the RC5 checksum of the
> original track.

The original scheme should have been sufficient. User's could not access the
MP3 files unless they has the proper key. The key was the original CD. The
client software ask for the CD in order to check it against stored fingerprint
information.  Once the CD was verified, that CD addded to the user's locker.

IIRC, the whole court case results from a very _literal_ reading of the
Copyright statutes. MP3.com created copies of the original material intending
to profit from their use. And they didn't give the Record Labels a cut of the
action.

My own personal opinion is that MP3.com would have has a better chance, if
they mad their users' upload their own MP3's. And using their application
secure to ensure that user only has access to their MP3's.

In the end bits, are bits irregardless of how they were created. The same
files would have would wound up on MP3's servers, if they (MP3.com) or the
users put them there. This, to me, is just another example of how copyright
laws need to reinterpreted, or updated, for today's realities.

Stephen L Johnson <sjohnson@monsters.org>