Re: [dvd-discuss] computers and networks 101

The issue is not being against intellectual property  but that the
intellectual property community has become more concerned with managing it
rather than creating it. To have more to manage, they have lowered the
standards for patents to the point that Starbucks can patent a cardboard
sleeve for a coffee cup. On the copyright front, they have extended the
term to a ridiculous length and added so much stuff that can get
copyrighted that copyright is effectively dead as a means of promoting
progress. As you point out, ultimately we the public foot the bill and get
nothing in return now.  I also don't see the desireablity of turning the
world into a technological totalitarian state with the intention of
protecting Intellectual property.

But Microsoft has a right to sell software just at much as GPL has to give
it away. It's healthy competition. When you hear executives of Microsoft
making public pronouncments that GPL is the worst thing for the software
industry ever created, it's time to check for your wallet....

Noah silva <nsilva@atari-source.com>
10/23/01 07:44 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss