Re: [dvd-discuss] SSSCA Hearing on Oct. 25

Noah silva wrote:

> At first glance of the page, it seems like a good thing, doesn't it?  Your
> PC will be more "trusted".  Hopefully that means I can trust it not to
> crash as much?
>
> They should mention they want it so THEY can "trust" it to obey them
> instead of the owner being able to trust it to do what they want it to.
>
>   -- noah silva

like most of the recent demands of the copyright industry this is also
impossible.  It violates the first law of computer security.

"There is no security if there is not physical security."

They want to require security in the CPE (customer premise equipment) --
but this (as the cable box cracks show) is clearly impossible.  If we
allows laws to enforce the uncrackability of all CPE (not just
first-access/first-sale CPE, again cable boxes), the enforcement issue
will be untenably large, and the need to invasion of privacy, and
restrictions on speech intolerable.

After that comes the the backlash, and this will make Napster look like
nothing...

Best Regards

.002