Re: [dvd-discuss] EFF opposes blacklisting spammers

FWIW, I have never been affiliated with MAPS in any way. I have never used
their (no longer free) services. I have never been listed with them.
Nobody I personally know has had ANY affiliation with them.

Thus, my contempt is born from their policies and actions, not a desire
for revenge.

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Bryan Taylor wrote:

> The EFF came out with its position on anti-spam blacklisting:
> http://www.eff.org/effector/current.html#II
>
> "But blacklisting is interfering with the delivery of a significant amount of
> non-spam email. Systems administrators who will not adopt the suggested
> anti-spam policies find themselves unable to deliver their non-spamming users'

> The anti-blacklist argument seems to be based on a non-existent right to not be
> ostrasized by private entitites.

IMHO, MAPS is a vigilante group, dispensing vigilante justice.

For example:
  MAPS lists are NOT openly published, but a closely guarded secret:

        It is very important to our legal and civil position that no one
        ever acquire a full copy of the MAPS RBL without indemnifying us.
                            (http://maps.vix.com/rbl/usage.html)
  [http://www.dotcomeon.com/]

Why is this?

--

Why did they block the ISP that hosts Peacefire?
  http://www.dotcomeon.com/peacefire.html

So, the vigilante group now demands that not only you don't spam, but you
have to discriminate on your customers based on their speech; if they sell
certain software, you have to kick'em off?

(and at the same time don't follow their procedures)
  http://www.server.com/Misc/RBL/
  http://www.dotcomeon.com/yesmail.html

More interesting, why has MAPS been blocking ORBS (a competitor also
creating blacklists)? Even to the point of null-routing *ALL* traffic to
them that goes over the abovenet backbone, and also taking them off the
internet?
  http://www.dotcomeon.com/hallofshame.html

I hate to say it, but they're not just spam-blocking anymore; like any
vigilante group, they're out for more power and terror. And they're
keeping their database secret, the better for more backroom dealings.

Check out: http://www.dotcomeon.com/blackholed.html, and
http://www.dotcomeon.com/ The guy is a ranting nut, but he is a gold mine
of information, and who knows, there may be a kernel of truth in his
rants; at least a couple of his predictions have come to pass since he
wrote it.

As to whether or not I think that anti-spam blacklisting is good, the jury
is still out on that. But the way secretive MAPS does it, frankly, scares
me.  They're a vigilante group that must be stopped.

Scott

--
No DVD movie will ever enter the public domain, nor will any CD. The last CD
and the last DVD will have moldered away decades before they leave copyright.