RE: [dvd-discuss] Hang the RIAA in their own noose.

Not quite, Jeme.  Up until now we've been talking about
running a standard service on a standard port and accessing
via the protocol standards.

What you are talking about is exploitation of a bug.  It is
not how the service is _intended_ to run, therefore we are
talking a violation here.

> Personally, I think private information shouldn't be kept on publicly
> accessible machines.

Granted.  Some government agencies are finally figuring that
out.  The only real secure machine is one that is not connected
to the network.

>And that's the end of that story.  If
> you think you
> can build a perfectly secure box, go for it.  But don't go
> crying to me
> when someone gets hold of your data without your permission.

But again, we weren't talking about people violating the
protections.   We were talking about, setting the server up
wide-open and then attempting to say that any (normal) access
is a violation because you only intended that data for your
own remote use.

186,000 mi./sec ... not just a good idea, it's the LAW!