RE: [dvd-discuss] Hang the RIAA in their own noose.

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Richard Hartman wrote:
> > @!@!@! No. About 99.99% of the stuff on my web server is intended only
> > for me to access it. Most of it is various documentation of a
> > half-dozen programming languages and other mirrors&data. If anyone
> > else accesses it, they are either a cracker, or they are exploiting a
> > misconfiguration. None of that data is intended for public access.
>
> Then you should configure your server to use a non-standard port.
> There are thousands of numbers available, pick one other than 80.  By
> using the standard port number, you are essentially stating "this is
> for general access".  By picking any other number, someone could
> certainly find it by port scanning but you'd have a better case
> against them for electronic trespass.

You're under the mistaken impression that a web server allows access to
anyone.

He can offer web services on port 80 and still have them password
protected or only allowing connections from certain hosts.

> A reasonable person would expect a web server on port 80 was set up w/
> intent to grant access, but a web server on any other port was
> intended to be private.

Unless that web server on port 80 required authentication to grant access
to content.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin