Re: [dvd-discuss] More Copy Protection

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:16:20 -0400 (EDT), Noah silva wrote:

>We have Blockbuster Video, which rents VHS tapes, DVD movies, and video
>games.  There are plenty of other video rental places.  I have never seen
>a CD or audio ape rental store.  I have lived in NC, PA and FL.  I
>regularly visit NY, and have also visited OH, TX, MA, CT, and other
>states.  I have never seen, or even _heard_ of a CD store here.  (or in
>Canada).  In fact, the concept never even occured to me until I started
>visiting Japan, and they are everywhere, almost as widespread as "love
>hotels".

The SPA (now SIIA) made a point of going after a couple data CD rental
outfits in the US and Canada a few years ago. These shops were mostly
renting computer games and came under the eye of Broderbund and
others. The shops then got permission to rent from a couple game
manufacturers and just had to limit their inventory to those titles.

>I thought about importing the business model here several times, but I
>wonder how the wonderful record companies would react.

I'm sure music CDs would attract similar attention. Best bet might be
to get permission from a couple indie labels(?)