RE: [dvd-discuss] ClearChannel Plays It Safe

Just scanning ...it seems that the court is agreeing with NPR that the FCC
didn't follow the instructions given to them correctly not that the FCC
has no authority to regulate.

Nor, finally, do we find anything in the legislative history to
support the Commission's interpretation of the statute.  In
fact, what little relevant legislative history exists reinforces
section 309(j)(2)'s plain language.

    Because the Commission's order conflicts with Communica-
tions Act section 309(j)(2), we have no need to consider
petitioners' arbitrary and capricious challenge.  The petition
for review is granted and the portions of the Commission's
Report and Order requiring NCEs that apply for licenses on
the unreserved spectrum to participate in competitive auc-
tions are vacated.

It looks as if the court is saying they aren't buying FCCs defense to a
challenge they think is wrong. NPR got what they wanted in spite of
themselves!

Bryan Taylor <bryan_w_taylor@yahoo.com>
09/27/01 12:00 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss