Re: [dvd-discuss] Hackers = terrorists, an analysis

Chris Moseng wrote:

> It seems that maybe we anti-copyright, pro-privacy internet libertarians
> have more in common with terrorists than we'd care to admit. Coming from
> Salon, I am not quick to deride this as more war propaganda--it's an
> interesting synthesis of the facts.

> http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2001/09/26/osama_bin_napster/index.html
>
> "Strange but true: The rules of engagement in "America's New War" have a
> great deal in common with the content wars of the last few years. The RIAA
> and the MPAA -- the FBI and the CIA of the entertainment industries -- have
> been involved in extended legal battles with the music traders and software
> hackers of the world, and the strategies they have employed show some
> striking parallels to recent American anti-terrorist strategic thought. "

With the anti-encryption laws, all legal cyphers will be no better than
CSS -- does HDCP need a backdoor, and if it has one, you'll be able to
measure the time to crack it with an egg timer.  Expect more vigor from
the MPA on DMCA type laws.  The are going to build their business models
with threads from the Emporers new clothes, and make removing the
blindfold illegal.

.002