Re: [dvd-discuss] Fair use is a balance?

Quite right. The issue is not how digital rights managment allows them to
keep the same rights but without the proper safeguards (as John Z, and
Jeme and a few others have pointed out) allows them capabilities outside
those rights (repudiation).

I think Prof. Litman has the right idea. The issue here is not how to keep
what we have. the issue is now what do we need to go back to striking a
balance between the technology we have and the copyright system. Creating
a technological totalitarian state dedicated to the preservation of
intellectual property rights is one way to go happily into extinction but
not one that I would recommend.

Scott A Crosby <crosby@qwes.math.cmu.edu>
09/24/01 08:31 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss