Re: [dvd-discuss] ClearChannel Plays It Safe

There are several *technical* problems with your arguments which
invalidate them.

In several instances you make the statement that because the government
has an interest in promoting commerce, that this end justifies the means.
This is not valid as a  rhetorical argument or historically.

In several other places you do not answer The point is that mere use
*ALONE* doesn
not constitute public service. Claiming that entertainment
constitutes public service is absurd except perhaps to lotus eaters
or those in Hollywierd. There is something distinctly odd about
claiming that the public gets service for paying to use a public
resource. That's a dangerous argument that the mining community
has been using to literally rape the land for centuries. They can pay
dollars an acre, gut the land to extract the minerals, then leave the
tailing and pollluted water around for the government to clean up.
Does the revenues and taxes on the minerals pay for the clean up.
NO. Does it pay for dealing with the Local economics after the
mine closes NO. But a lot of people enjoy the benefits of commerce from
extraction and later cleaning up the land-a small number. Take the TOTAL
revenue minus the cost of clean up and you find that the GENERAL public
takes a loss for the benefit of the few.

In another place you appeal to the authority  of "Majoritarian processes"
yet later state that Congress sets that policy. Not only is this
contradictory but as recent history has shown, Congress can be influenced
GREATLY by special interests with lots of money to throw at those special
"dispensations" for those special people.

You made the statement that "I have yet to see any company whose mission
statement says "maximize profits"....get real! You won't see any that is
trying to minimize profit or go out of business. And you certainly won't
see a company's stock go up if they don't try. haven't you ever seen an
MBA's mind work? <do until retirement :maximize profits for quarter;
update resume; get new job; enddo>

But in reading the caselaw, there is an telling point

"The First Amendment, far from providing an argument against application
of the Sherman Act, here provides powerful reasons to the contrary. That
Amendment rests on the assumption that the widest possible dissemination
of information from diverse
and antagonistic sources is essential to the welfare of the public,
that a free press is a condition of a free society. Surely a command
that the government itself shall not impede the free flow of ideas
does not afford nongovernmental combinations a refuge if they
impose restraints upon that constitutionally guaranteed freedom.
Freedom to publish means freedom for all and
not for some. Freedom to publish is guaranteed by the
Constitution, but freedom to combine to keep others from
publishing is not."

And that is the issue with a conglomerates, monopolies, cartels, trusts.
Without the free flow of ideas even the "idealistic" notion that commerce
provides a rational basis" cannot work. Why, rational basis requires
rational thought. Rational thought requires competing ideas and the
examination of alternatives. No alternatives, no competing thought, no
rational thought.

Bryan Taylor <bryan_w_taylor@yahoo.com>
09/19/01 02:31 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss