Re: [dvd-discuss] ClearChannel Plays It Safe

--- Michael.A.Rolenz@aero.org wrote:

> As for censorship...censorship is not my throwing out political tracts
> from the republicans and the democrats or not allowing you to put a sign
> in MY yard (that would be conversion of my property for your use),
> deleting email that I don't want to read or skipping over political ads in
> the NY or LA Times. Censorship is stopping me from putting a sign in my
> property, speaking out for or against a candidate in public, going from
> door to door , calling over the telephone....by using the laws or physical
> force or even social pressure  (anybody know much about the Amish culture
> or what shunning is?)

There is no right to own a TV station or a radio station, and wanting to
control part of their programming is just as much conversion of property as me
putting my politcal sign in your yard.

Censorship is "social pressure" !? So what is social pressure against social
pressure? There is no right to have everybody in your area tell you that you
are swell.

It sounds like you guys have trouble dealing with the fact that other people
who happen to control resources don't agree with you. I suggest that you get
your own resources so that you aren't dependent on others.

> The PROBLEM here is that this act is not isolated to my yard, my street,
> my city, or my state. With multinational corporations it is worldwide.
> What is this act? Controlled and deliberate elimination of the means by
> which an idea can spread. Now THAT"S censorship. But that's just a song?
> Right? Look at the talking heads giggling during the news hour (showing my
> age..in LA its news bi-hour). Censorship may be desired by officers of a
> corporation for the benefit to their "bottomline" but as I've ranted
> before (and will again  ;-) it fails the "clear and present danger" test.

I really don't know what you are talking about when you say "Controlled and
deliberate elimination of the means by which an idea can spread." I don't see
Clear Channel able to do that. In fact, if you call one of their live talk
radio shows, you can probably actually use their resources to get your idea
out.

What do you mean "elimination"? This implies something used to exist, but now
it doesn't. I can't fathom what that could possibly be. When exactly could you
force radio stations to play songs they didn't want to? In fact, with the
advent of cable TV, it's actually very easy to create your own TV show.