Re: [dvd-discuss] [declan@well.com: FC: Congress considers encryptionrestrictions in response to attacks]

Read some of Greg Chaitin's work on algorithmic information theory....the
randomness IS the mathematics rather than an aberation.

"D. C. Sessions" <dcs@lumbercartel.com>
09/14/01 08:52 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss

        To:     dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [dvd-discuss] [declan@well.com: FC: Congress considers encryption

On Thursday 13 September 2001 18:33, you wrote:
> --- lists@politechbot.com wrote:
>
> > http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,46816,00.html
>
> This just shows how utterly clueless our leaders are about security.
>
> Many different types of very strong crypto are "out there" with source
code.
> Trying to ban cryptology now would be like trying to ban ice in soft
drinks.

Like they could tell the difference?  In order to tell that a given
message was
encrypted with "bad" software instead of "good" software, they'd have to
decrypt and analyze every message.  All of them.  Also any graphic images,
etc. (steganography is great stuff.)

Somehow I suspect that our Lords and Masters are either not hearing this
or ignoring it anyway.

--
| I'm old enough that I don't have to pretend to be grown up.|
+----------- D. C. Sessions <dcs@lumbercartel.com> ----------+