Re: [dvd-discuss] Text of draft Security Systems Standards and Certification Act

> On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 11:35:47PM -0400, jerwin@gmu.edu wrote:
> > >    Text of Security Systems Standards and Certification Act
> > Also known as the closed source subsidation act of 2001...
> > My reasoning: with low level (kernel...) access, it is possible to
> > extract the "plaintext" of any copyrighted media, thus turning a
> > general purpose PC into a piracy machine... (and violating section 102)
> > of the act).
>
> I don't think that's the most threatening provision of the act.
>
> Sec. 102 (http://www.politechbot.com/docs/hollings.090701.html) only
> applies to "interactive computer service[s]", which doesn't seem to
> cover standard, even networked, PCs, at least by the most
> straightforward reading.
>
> What you should be worried about is Sec. 101, which definitely does
> cover PCs.
>

> > Should they not implement the features demanded in the bill, that would
> > put Linux in violation of section 101, as new versions of the kernel
> > will almost certainly not be "grandfathered in."
>
> Ah, yes. Just saw this. Agreed. "Interactive digital device" covers
> software, including Linux.
>

> -Declan

  This is how I believe this act will play out:

 1) This act will sail through congress thanks to the heavy lobbying of
    the copyright cartels.

 2) The "industry" will adopt the Trust Computing Platfrom Alliance's (TCPA)
    (http://www.trustedpc.org) specification for PC's, and the CPRM/CPPM
    (http://www.4centity.com/tech/cprm/) specification for hard drives,
    removable storage devices, and pre-recorded media.  The TCPA spec performs
    hardware-based signature checks on software, beginning with the
    boot-loader.  The current spec allows for boot-loaders which fail the
    signature check to still load and run (with the PC in an "insecure"
    state).  With a minor modification, the TCPA spec can require that any
    boot-loader which fails the signature check will fail to run at all.
    This can be backed up by the CPRM hard-drive which will only allow a
    secure program to modify the boot-loader on the hard-drive.

 3) I suspect that the FBI/DOJ will not go after Linux initially (even
    though the "software" provision of the act provides them with the
    power to do so) due to the possible speech ramifications.  Linux
    will effectively be outlawed because the mandated TCPA
    PC's will only run Secure Windows.

 4)  After several years, the Feds will go after Linux itself due to the
    scofflaws who continue to run Linux on their pre-TCPA computers.

    Microsoft has a wonderful PowerPoint presentation on their designs
   to monopolize the copyright protection business via the TCPA PC at
   http://www.microsoft.com/winhec/presents/Security.zip

    I bet there's alot of celebrating going on in Redmond tonight now
   that the possibility of a break-up has been dismissed in favor of
   a meaningless wrist-slap, plus they are now well on their way to getting
   Linux outlawed with this act.  They also probably find a great deal of
   irony in the fact that IBM, the supposed champion of Linux, will
   have had significant hand in developing the technology which will be
   used to destroy Linux.