Re: [dvd-discuss] Skylarov indicted for trafficing and conspiracy .

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:12:05 -0400, "Richard Bowers"
<richardsbowers@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Not exactly, but close. Disclaimer: IANAL, but I do work for a company that
>makes websites accessible, and which sells a product that competes with the
>mentioned AccMonitor -- so, as with anything else, don't go file a lawsuit
>based on what I say. Section 508 is part of the Rehabilitation Act
>Amendements of 1998 -- it requires anything that the Federal Gov't buys to
>be accessible. It also requires (through the Education Act) anything that a
>school purchases, if that school receives federal grant money for certain
>things, to be accessible. A number of states have voluntarily placed
>themselves under the act, as well. Violation by the gov't (if they buy
>something they shouldn't) just costs them attorney's fees. Violation by a
>company (if they sell something they shouldn't) can amount to having
>defrauded the gov't. This all went into effect for purchases made after June
>of this year. For more information on what it means, see
>http://www.access-board.gov/

Thanks Richard!

Heres the code on the Cornell server:
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/29/794d.html

Actually, section 794e looks even more useful as it addresses
individuals rather than federal agencies--

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/29/794e.html

I've know many people--usually diabetics--who are not yet legally
blind, but you don't want them driving down the street when school
gets out. There are shades of disability, and the condition is often
one which  degrades rather than improves, especially with old age.

That Adobe can facilitate "books" that discriminate between who can
read and who can listen is a travesty. These are, as Eric has pointed
out, anti-books.

What happens when a disabled person encounters a disabled book?
Who wins?