RE: [dvd-discuss] EFF: Court Endorses Ban on DVD Copy Technology [321 Studios]

Y'know, 321Studios left a message on my phone machine
yesterday urging me to call Steve Jobs at Pixar (presumably
a computer-savvy guy but now w/ a movie industry company)
to leave a message about the DMCA.

I pondered for a bit and something occurred to me.

The MPAA is lobbying in favor of the DMCA because they
think it protects their interests.

What would they do if the actually realized that it
does not.

Think a moment.  CSS does _nothing_ to validate that
DVD playing is legit.  The only thing it validates
is that the _player_ has code (CSS) that was licensed
from the DVDCCA.  In other words, it protects the
interests of the player manufacturers, but NOT the
interests of the movie industry.  Put a pirate DVD
(still encrypted) into a "good" player and it will
play.  Put a good DVD into an unlicensed player and
it will not play.

Do you think the movie industry actually realizes that
CSS does nothing for _them_?  I'm not so sure.

Perhaps it isn't the courts we have to educate, but
the movie moguls.  Get the MPAA playing on our side.

186,000 mi/sec: not just a good idea, it's the LAW!