Re: [dvd-discuss] did everyone already see this?

Unfortunately, that is not how courts define access, or a "work," for
purposes of the DMCA.  I'm not sure that the distinction is all that
clear to begin with when it comes to computer programs.  In any case,
you don't achieve much with the distinction.  All you do is force garage
door companies to create transmitters that cause some copying and
distribution to occur.  For example, when you press the button on your
garage door transmitter, it plays a happy little copyrighted tune it
gets from the garage door mechanism.

The problem isn't finding clever ways to distinguish Reimerdes from
garage door openers (which I don't believe possible).  The issues is
getting rid of the DMCA.