[dvd-discuss] Media server issue

As the price of mass storage continues its steady descent, one of the
killer apps that seems likely to emerge is the home media server that
among other things could include all your DVD's conveniently available
throughout your home network. A company described at
http://www.kaleidescape.com/ is making such a product available as a
turnkey system at a premium price. A base configuration that holds
about 30 DVD's is $20,000 but is expandable at prices that might be
less onerous. However, I think we can assume that people buying this
specific product are not really price sensitive.

The relevance to this list is that whatever price is being paid, the
DVD's are ripped to a hard drive. In a discussion on the AVS Forum the
legal issue is explained away by the claim that the DVD is stored on
the hard drive in its original encrypted form and only decrypted at
play time at the media client machine. Of course people have already
implemented this sort of capability on their own at today's storage
prices because it is awfully cool. But they have been using forbidden
software to accomplish the task of capturing the DVD's to their monster
hard drives.

Of course an important question is whether the MPAA agrees with this
company that what it has done is going to pass muster. Even if that is
the case, DMCA is criminal law and if its illegal for a regular citizen
to have a product of this type why should it be legal if you have money
to burn (yes, I know the cynical response)? The crucial issue is that a
system like this does not require you to physically have the disc in
order to play its content.  The details of how this is accomplished
resemble arguments about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

I suppose if one has patience the mass market is incredibly more vast
than the niche this product represents. So if this sort of pirouette
around the consequences of DMCA is available to the rich today, then it
will be repeated for the rest later.