Re: [dvd-discuss] Mobile phone cameras used for Digital shoplifting?

On 30 Jun 2003 at 8:55, Glendon Gross wrote:

Date sent:      	Mon, 30 Jun 2003 08:55:39 -0700
From:           	Glendon Gross <gross@xinetd.com>
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject:        	Re: [dvd-discuss] Mobile phone cameras used for Digital
shoplifting?

> I would have thought that sending the photos via cell phone would increase
> sales of the magazine, rather than decrease sales!
>
> I wonder if there is any tangible evidence that this behavior really hurts
> magazine sales, or if this is another case of "piracy" being
> used as a means to blame the customer  for a failure to sell product. It seems
> to me that there was a time when something like this would have been  thought of
> as free advertising for the magazine, rather than "piracy."  But the unchecked
> rise of intellectual property law seems to have criminalized many behaviors
> which otherwise resemble sharing.

I think that's an excellent statement. The whole notion of "intellectual
propert" is the problem...I can only hope that the inventors of that phrase
rate some cirle in Dante's Inferno....last weekend I decided that the creators
of Lotus Notes deserve a place in the "deceivers" circle-those who practice
deception and so distort the order of nature.