Re: [dvd-discuss] IDSA Forces Arcade Game Manual Archive Offline

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Steve Stearns wrote:
> What I can't fathom here is why this DMCA action was launched.  It's not
> clear to me that the IDSA has any authority to bring action in this
> case.  Who is the copyright holder, and what interest do they have in
> protecting these manuals?  Clearly the commercial value of these
> documents is quite limited given that your friend couldn't find anybody
> willing to sell him a copy.

The maker of new equipment has a vested interest in keeping repair manuals
for old equipment out of the hands of the public.  If you can't fix it,
you have to buy a new one.

Modern copyright's sole purpose seems to be keeping copies of works from
people, rather than ensuring that works are available.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin