Re: [dvd-discuss] HTML-enhanced censorware DMCA Exemptions hearings

INteresting point on page 26

MR. BURT: Well, our work has copyright protection to it. Databases do have
copyright protection, and they can be
copyrighted. We want to protect that investment that we have of our database.
We want to protect that intellectual property, that editorial
judgments that we make in this database that we have created.

What a crock of crap!

Database contain DATA. Data is facts. Facts are not copyrighted. Now Burt want
to create editorical judgment as the reason for a FACT being copyrighted. It's
idiocy to even think that that constitutes intellectual property. If somebody
wants to create "Joe Scholars Pick of Poe" then "Joe Blow's Pick of Poe" with
the same selection get's copyright protection? What stupidity!

The whole notion of compilation copyrights is nonsensical. The whole notion of
database copyrights is equally so.