Re: [dvd-discuss] Pavlovich dvd case heading to SCOTUS

> What exactly does it mean to stay a finding of no jurisdiction?
>
> Usually, don't you just petition for certiori? What is the urgency
> here that
> could possibly justify a stay? What is the immediate effect of this
> stay? Will
> Pavlovich now be treated "as if" jurisdiction applied to him, so that
> he too is
> included within the current ruling that DeCSS does not violate trade
> secrets?

One of the news accounts I read seemed to imply the DVD-CCA (or
whatever initials) wanted the court's intervention to prevent the
further dissemination of the program. If this is being reported
accurately and I'm reading it correctly, it shows no awareness of
reality. Once Frank Stevenson published his cryptanalysis of the
incompetent CSS algorithm it was clear that no vendor keys were needed.
Current implementations can use brute force (sequentially testing each
possible distinct key) to find one that works. No matter what the
courts decide that copy of libdvdcss remains on my drive and available
from the vlc project in Paris.