RE: [dvd-discuss] Matt Pavlovich WINS in Cal. Supreme Court

Precisely. You cannot intend to violate a non-existant law, and be held
accountable for having done so. Intent to do the ACT may be relevant, but
NOT intent to act lawlessly or lawfully. IIRC this can sometimes break
down on the side of the defendant (there was an example of a defendant in
a tax case who believed that he didn't have to pay taxes, and got away
with it, because no one understands the tax codes fully, and you shouldn't
be held accountable for it -- YMMV) but generally this holds up.

P. is only liable if it actually was illegal, and he actually intended to
do the prohibited _act_, regardless of whether he thought it legal or not,
AFAIK. (and indeed, he does appear to have intended to RE and disseminate
the secret. Perhaps legally)

I'll have to dig around for cites, but I feel pretty sure of this point.