RE: [dvd-discuss] goldfish -- cautious!!!

If you don't know the source code, then compiling it yourself won't
help...remember the DEC VAX command file "virus" o the late 80s. A useful
enough command file that had interspersed instructions to write a set of
characters to a command file and then at the end execute that file. Since
it was executed in the root by an operator reformatting the disk did
wonders to the whole system.

WRT to even trusted software, has Symantec, McAfee etc,  considered what
Palladium and some of that ilk will do to their trustworthyness? MS$ may
not let them get insight into what is going on. If they do, then they may
be limited in what they can do or may be stopped from doing things that
MS$ perceives as "bad" or reducing their market share (the DoJ just
doesn't get the incidiousness of having control of an OS for nefariouis
ends. I make no distinction between MS$ messing with my computer and the
latest Virii)

Jeme A Brelin <jeme@brelin.net>
11/12/2002 01:15 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss